D&D4e Gothic Hunter Campaign
House Rules - Skills
You can spend HALF of your REMAINING Healing Surges (rounded up, minimum 1) to reroll a skill check with a +5 bonus.
- This is intended to fix two issues:
- Little overlap between combat resources and non-combat resources. I’d like out-of-combat decisions to affect combat, and vice-versa
- I’d like some sort of “Fate Points” resource.
- The rule is designed so that the benefit is always proportional to the risk:
- A reroll with a +5 bonus is roughly equivalent to giving a +10 bonus to the initial roll.
- So if you’ve got 8 Surges remaining (low risk), you must spend 4 for a +10 bonus (+2.5/Surge; low reward).
- Whereas if you’ve got 1-2 Surges remaining (high risk), you only spend 1 for a +10 bonus (+10/Surge; high reward).
The Religion skill isn’t particularly appropriate for this setting:
- No explicit division between religion and magic, so Arcana covers magic checks.
- Most churches promote ancestor worship, which can be covered by History checks.
- No pantheon of gods or divine creatures, so most creatures can be identified by Nature or Dungeoneering.
But there is a set of knowledge not adequately covered by any existing skill. Hence Religion will be replaced by Adversaries:
- Similar usage to Religion:
- Religion lets you recall well-known religions, their histories, their practices, and how to identify them. Adversaries lets you recall notorious individuals (usually legendary monsters), their histories, their abilities, and how to identify them.
- Religion lets you recall well-known saints, prophes, priests, etc. Adversaries lets you recall well-known monster hunters.
- Differs from Nature and Dungeoneering in that they provide info about species of creatures, whereas Adversaries is about specific individuals.