D&D4e Gothic Hunter Campaign
All playable races are offshoots of “human” that have emerged over the last few thousand years, and stabilized into a few discrete “sub-races”. Below is a list of what is generally believed (correctly or not) to be each race’s ancestors:
- Deva: Artificially created humans (homonculi) designed to preserve ancient lore.
- Dragonborn: Half-monster (naga?) hybrids.
- Dwarf: Slaves bred to survive permanently underground.
- Eladrin: Humans who used technology to artificially extend their lifespans.
- Elf: Humans who forsook cities and technology.
- Gnome: Witchs’ servants and familiars.
- Goliath: Genetically engineered warrior-slave race.
- Half-elf: (These just represent a hybrid of any two races listed here – a homogeounous middleground.)
- Half-orc: Feral humans.
- Halfling: Deformed mutants.
- Human: Relatively un-tainted humans.
- Shifter: Half-werewolf hybrids.
- Tiefling: Half-vampyre hybrids.