D&D4e Gothic Hunter Campaign
- Age of Man (circa 2000+ years ago)
- Thousands of years ago, humans ruled the world with amazing advanced technology.
- Age of Monsters (circa 2000-1400 years ago)
- At some point, castles started “growing” across the face of the earth. No-one knows for sure what actually happened, but you can still see sprawling gothic ruins covering huge areas of land to this day.
- From the castles all sorts of monsters emerged. For hundreds of years humanity fought a losing war.
- Age of Vampires (circa 1400-400 years ago)
- Vampires were always extremely dangerous, but normally they were too territorial and greedy to work together.
- But over a thousand years ago, the Vampire King unified them. There was still plenty of infighting, but when united by a single ruler was no force in the world which could withstand them.
- They established massive empires, with millions of humans enslaved under a few hundred vampires.
- For nearly a thousand years the vampires ruled, cruel and decadent, undertaking vast vanity projects to flaunt their power. Human slaves were treated as draft-animals and livestock.
- Current Age
- At the height of the vampires’ power, as much as 90% of humanity were their slaves.
- But at some point, the Vampire King vanished. History does not record how or why.
- Without their King to unite them, the remaining lords splintered. While their established might ensured their rule for centuries more, one by one many of the ancient fiefdoms collapsed. The result of peasant revolts, legendary heroes, or rival monsters.
- Humanity is now mostly independent, with only a minority still under vampire rule. However, without the vampires’ protection they have once more become prey to the myriad other horrors in the world.